February 2, 2015 Winter

I was born in winter so you would think I would rather enjoy this season but that couldn't be further from the truth (much like being a sun sign but yearning to be near water). Where I grew up, -40 was typical winter weather. Whether I celebrated my birthday with friends depended on whether or not the car would start (yes, we had to plug in our car every day in winter). 

I just assumed frigid winters were the norm everywhere in Canada until I started watching weather reports from across the country. Mild temperatures, rain even in some places?! I was flabbergasted. Snow and winter jackets while trick or treating wasn't common? Children everywhere didn't go to school from November to March wearing skidoo pants, toques, parkas and scarves wrapped around their foreheads? 

Well, I grew up and moved away but strangely I didn't pick my new city based on better winter conditions (what was I thinking?). The winters are generally milder here but there is a greater accumulation of snow. Still, winter is winter - cold, dark, snowy, dull. Spring, summer and fall are so full of color, life, bird song, thunderstorms, boat rides, outdoor living, relaxing, gardening. I could go on and on.....winter? shovelling, freezing, white-knuckled driving, shovelling, shovelling, shovelling. Did I mention shovelling?

I have tried to love enjoy winter. I've snowshoed (way too much work!), skied downhill (when I was young!), snowmobiled, ice fished, skated. Nothing has worked, well maybe tobagganing - that's probably the funnest thing you can do in winter.

That's not to say I don't encourage my children to get outside in the winter - they skate, tobaggan, ride horses and downhill ski. We did have one beautiful evening in January this year - the one mild night of 2015. The snow was falling and it was beautiful. My husband and youngest girl tried downhill skiing for the first time in their lives - kudos. My oldest was off on her own, she is a little pro. I pulled baby in his sleigh with one hand and towed one or the other girls with my other from time to time so it was fun and I got a work out too. Then we got home and because it was so nice the girls and I pulled out the sled and tobagganed down our hill in the dark for half an hour (here' a picture from the top of it). It was fun I have to admit. The girls had a blast - great memories! 

Still, I am counting the days until we can hit the campground and get out on the water together!



Beautiful?





No comments: